Monday, June 6, 2011

The real reason this blog came about (aka thoughts on shower curtains)

Yes, my first "real" post is about shower curtains. What of it.

Anyway, I was taking a shower this morning. (For those of you who haven't been following my life saga lately, I recently moved in with my friend Evylyn so I would have a place to live between the end of the lease on my old apartment and the beginning of July, when she moves out of her current apartment and I move in with my friends Brian and Aurora for the summer.)

ANYWAY...so I was taking a shower this morning, and every time I'm in there I can't help but look at Evylyn's shower curtain. It's super cute, with butterflies in various patterns in orange, pink, purple and green, and coordinates with the rest of her bathroom decor, a feat most of the college students I know haven't bothered to accomplish, as observed from the number of people I've visited (and whose bathrooms I've used.)

I was looking at Evylyn's curtain and I started thinking about the different options people have when selecting one. It's one of the most noticeable, visible items in your bathroom, and when you live in an apartment or other rental property and can't do things like paint the walls, a shower curtain is a great way to show your personality.

There are several things to consider when picking out a curtain (this is assuming your apartment has the kind of shower that comes with a bathtub. If your shower is the stall type that has a door, there are other things you can do, like put decals on the door.)

With shower curtains, you basically have two options as far as material goes: fabric or vinyl.

Fabric shower curtains, usually made of a water-resistant fabric, tend to be a little more expensive than their vinyl counterparts. However, there are almost limitless designs available on fabric curtains, and if you're really ambitious you can make your own (if you go this route, make sure the fabric you choose doesn't bleed, otherwise you'll end up ruining your curtain and possibly your floor.) Most fabric shower curtains also have the advantage of being machine washable, which comes in handy as curtains can become pretty nasty after a while from living in such a wet environment. Fabric curtains also tend to last longer because they don't have the same tendency to rip as vinyl curtains do. The downside, besides the higher cost, is that you will need to buy a vinyl liner, as fabric curtains are not waterproof. A liner will also help prolong the life of your curtain.

Vinyl shower curtains have the advantage of being relatively inexpensive, and come in clear, white, solid colors and prints, depending on your personal style (my personal recommendation is to reserve the clear liner as an additional layer for a fabric curtain - using it by itself sort of defeats the purpose of having a curtain in the first place!) The downside is that they have this annoying tendency to rip, particularly near the holes, if you're not careful. Vinyl curtains also can't be machine washed, so when they start getting full of mildew and soap scum you need to throw it out and replace it (although, like I said, they're cheap.)

In the end, it's entirely up to you which type of curtain you choose. Pick a solid color that coordinates with whatever decor is in your bathroom, or pick a fun, bold print to be the centerpiece.

Above all, have fun! Although many people don't think to decorate the bathroom, it's one of the rooms most often used and seen by visitors, and with a little effort your bathroom will have a lasting impression on your guests!

No comments:

Post a Comment