Monday, June 13, 2011

Graduation, deferred

Today was long, busy, surreal and bittersweet.
Aka the class of 2011 graduation ceremony.

Four years ago, I had imagined myself being part of this group. Instead, I will be taking another year to finish my degree, which meant I volunteered at the SOJC ceremony in lieu of being among the hundreds of people running around in green caps and gowns. I also attended the School of Music and Dance ceremony, at which I knew way more people than at the SOJC one.

I got to watch many of my friends graduate today and take their respective final walks across the Hayward Field or Beall Hall stage. It stings a little not being part of this group, but I know I'll walk next year with pride.

In the end, graduation is not so much about the destination as it is about the journey it takes to get there, and what you can accomplish once you reach that destination. It's a milestone, but definitely not the end of the road.

Congrats to the class of 2011. May the wind be at your back as you go wherever you're headed next. I'm with you guys in spirit (after all, most of us share the experience of being part of the high school graduating class of 2007) and the UO isn't going to be the same without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment